Saturday 8 March 2014

Better it is to be of an humble spirit



Proverbs 16:19 

Better it is to be of an humble spirit with the lowly, than to divide the spoil with the proud.

We are often more concerned about what others think of us, then what God wants from us. The scripture Galatians 1:10 says that a servant of God is a person that wants to please God, not please men.

The reason many will not lift their hands up in praise to God is because they think others will look at them. Many will not kneel in the Church again because of pride. It is self that holds many back from their full potential to be used by God. When I sense that self is trying to take over then I will stand up in the Church and say I am a sinful wretch who has been saved by Lord Jesus who came to save sinners, and now I have a new life and I'm walking with God.

Sometimes when we are worshipping I sense the Holy Spirit prompting me to kneel, I don't always feel like kneeling, but know I can't argue with God. If I had the choice where I sat then it would be at the back of the Church as I don't want to draw attention to myself.

In 1 Peter 5:5 it tells us that God resists the proud and gives grace to the humble. We must of course guard against false humility, which is not real humility but forced, with wrong motifs. It is always better to be humble, then to be proud. Pride says look what I have done, but Christian humility says look what God has done.

Prayer: Thank you Lord our God for showing us the importance of humility and we pray you will convict us by your Holy Spirit when we are too proud so we can humble ourselves and always give you the glory. That your will be done and your kingdom come on earth as it is in heaven. Through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

No comments: